The BEST environmental advantage a product can have is to be designed and made to have a long life so that it can be reused or up-cycled repeatedly.
Prefabricated, modular SPS components arrive at site faster and more easily than traditional materials. Truck movements can be reduced by up to 70%, which reduces the resulting carbon footprint. SPS is significantly lighter than concrete and a single truck can transport more components to a jobsite at one time. Often coordinated well ahead of arrival on site through BIM modelling, SPS structural composite panels and bleachers are packaged and shipped sequentially to:
- improve construction programme by reducing lift times;
- carry loads and equipment immediately (once placed and bolted to);
- allow for easier and faster fixing of additional components, reducing the number and duration of trades on site;
- eliminate extra waste products on site;
- allow earlier completion dates to be met.
In addition, there are significant health and safety benefits to be had through:
- reduced on-site assembly time;
- clean, uncluttered sites;
- once bolted, SPS panels have immediate, full structural capacity;
- and protection against dropped objects.
SPS Technology’s lightweight, prefabricated plates are ideal for brownfield development and for vertical and horizontal extensions of existing buildings. This limits urban sprawl and makes best use of sites that are otherwise difficult and expensive to develop with traditional construction materials and methods. For example, designing a building to span over the top of railways or under elevated roads.
SPS Bridge decks rehabilitate and upgrade old, tired bridges to code . Re-decking suspension bridges with SPS over waterways improves the carry capacity of the bridge with its diaphragm composite strength and can increase the travel space to the top-of-water. Re-decking with SPS usually takes less than 50% of the time allotted for conventional bridge repairs, while reducing net on-site pollution.
Sustainability and fire in the Maritime and Offshore industries are both addressed through the use of SPS:
- A Cold Work solution without flame, spark or smoke gives the ability to complete work while an asset is in productive use.
- Carbon emissions from traditional welding repairs are dramatically reduced as SPS repairs are class-approved for non-hot methods of repairing vessels.
- Our riding squads go out to the vessel or asset and complete in-service repairs.
- A repair using SPS generates less waste by re-using corroded plating.
SPS composite panels are more resistant to fatigue and corrosion, reducing through-life maintenance.